Balloon drop or ball drop at midnight
For a lot of people New Year’s isn’t New Year’s without watching the ball drop. Well, you can create your very own ball to celebrate midnight at any hour with a mini-Times Square in your living room.
2 pieces of lightweight fabric
• Put the two pieces of fabric side by side and use one long piece of scotch tape to attach them. Make sure you leave a long loose end on one side so you can pull the tape off and release the balloons.
• Securely tape each of the four corners to the ceiling. Make sure to leave it loose so that you can add the balloons.
• Blow up the balloons (we recommend a balloon pump if you have one) and add them to the fabric net. Once it hits midnight (or earlier for young ones) countdown and help your kids pull the long loose end to release the balloons!
For this you’ll need:
Polystyrene Foam Ball
Rubber stopper with adhesive
• First cut a hole in the polystyrene foam ball large enough for the PVC pipe to fit through. You can also find some balls with the hole already in it.
• Decorate the ball with whatever you like, foil, glitter, paint – it’s the end of the year so really go nuts.
• Take the PVC pipe (of whatever length you like – we recommend 5-6 feet) and make a mark 6-12 inches apart (depending on the size of the pipe) to mark each hour to 11:59pm with the numbers in ascending order.
• As you hit the marked hours, raise the ball up to the mark for each of those levels. So, if you make 6 marks, 6pm is at the bottom and 11:59 is at the top. Each time you raise the ball, put the rubber stopper under the ball so that it stays.
• Once you get to the very top, get your whole family to countdown, release the stopper and watch the ball drop to commemorate the new year!
Check out Plenti.com where you can earn points with over 1000 retailers, services and restaurants and use them to save at places you shop every day.